Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Diva Number 2 Loses Another Job

Molly: Today was....long.  And we are very...tired.  But we made it through!  We are finally in beautiful Jackson Hole, Wyoming!  This morning, we woke up at the crack of dawn as per usual.  This is the second day in a row that Anne has interrupted my REM sleep...who knows what kind of long term effects that will have on my personal health and well-being?!  I am concerned.

Anyway, we left Cheyenne and headed west towards this great ghost town I found online.  Obviously, that should have been my first clue.  We get to said ghost town...and find a gravel road sketchily sitting off of the interstate.  I thought this was maybe the funniest thing that has happened to us all week... Diva Number One spewed off death threats the whole three miles down the dirt road to this "ghost town."



Above are the photos of the ghost town: obviously, the happiest day of my life despite the death threats.  I think Mom thought it was going to be kind of interactive, like with dress-up people who talk to you like they are from 1850s Wyoming, but that was a fail.  I had fun watching Diva Number One be in shock for the both of us.

Then we got back on the road and drove the 3 1/2 hours longer to Jackson Hole.  This morning, Mom nonchalantly announced that she felt JUST LIKE Moses.  I have no idea where this came from, but she decided that our journey was JUST LIKE Moses's across the desert and she obviously, was Moses.  Clearly I'm just the peasant follower or something.  Anyway, the whole point is that after the ghost town we were so hungry for lunch that Mom decided she was going to have to take on the role of Jesus (not in a sacreligious way) and make us some loaves and fishes out of our remaining granola.  What a sass. 

Here's the rest of Wyoming.   Below is the sketch (and only) gas station we saw.


But, we finally made it to Jackson Hole!  When we checked into Jackson Hole, the friendly desk man (who was from the South, obviously a good sign) told me that we should look into getting bear spray if I was worried about the bears (obviously, I'm worried.  And I really want to possess bear spray.)  Unfortunately for me, Diva Number One vetoed this idea VERY quickly.  One of us is going to come back home with a missing limb and let me just say it is not going to be me because let's be honest, I don't have to outrun a bear, I just have to outrun Diva Number One.

Tonight we ate a lovely dinner (with a wonderful view of Grand Teton) and have set ourselves up for a LONG night's sleep...except the 7am "dawn safari" we are going on tomorrow.  That and our tram ride will be the highlights of tomorrow's blog post for sure.

I'll hand it over to the exhausted and dramatic Diva Number One.

Anne: Molly owes me $4. That was the price of admission at that God-awful tourist trap she took us to today. Keep in mind it was three hours out of our way...what should have been a straight shot from Cheyenne to Jackson Hole. But NO, it will be great she says. It had a website, so she was sure it would be good. Now, keep in mind that we hadn't eaten much breakfast because Molly was sure we could eat lunch at the authentic saloon in this old mining town. So we are driving and driving and I miss the turn, but that's okay because you can make a u-turn in the desert since there are not any other cars on the road. But finally we see the sign pointing to the left. I am SURE this can't be right because it's a DIRT ROAD and we cannot see anything over the hill on this DIRT ROAD. But we plow ahead because I'd have to hear about it over and over again just like the giant postage stamp debacle from yesterday. So for two miles or three we drive, dust now pouring through the windows and into our hair and teeth. We finally emerge from our own personal dust storm to see a small little town in front of us. It's like munchkins lived there. But I'm trying to have a good attitude because, after all, we've driven three hours out of the way to enjoy this.

We walked into the general store and thought we'd look around, ask about the lunch menu. The first thing I saw was a nice selection of plastic Mardi Gras beads hanging on a piece of dried wood. It went downhill after that. The saloon (and everything else) was behind glass. The only food to be eaten besides candy bars at the general store was the fake plastic kind that young kids have in their little play kitchens. There was fake beer, fake cigars. It was all fake. The man at the entrance asked if we wanted to watch the 20-minute video. I wish we had now. I cannot imagine what we would have seen. I guess I expected Miss Kitty and Marshall Dillon or some costumed people hanging around. Nope, just Molly and me.

In addition to losing her job as navigator, she has now been relieved of her duties as tour director.

So, we got back on the road and saw more tundra. I had fun passing the cars and trucks on the road ahead of me. There were seven all day.

But I was getting a little scared that there were no gas stations and that we were going to have to divvy up the remaining granola bars since it was now 2:30 and we didn't get vittles at the saloon. Finally, we found a place in some town that had a gas station. But to get to it, you had to drive on a dirt road. It was very funny. A whole group of people, all dressed in jeans and red shirts, were there. No, they were not employees and they weren't with the circus as far as we could tell. But anyway, we finally got gas, even though the pin pad was "broke" and found the only cafe in a 50-mile radius. It's even on Urban Spoon.

But now we are in Jackson Hole, thanks Lissa and Chuck. We are jumping up at 6 a.m. to go on a wildlife safari. I'm sure we will have some stories tomorrow from that. We are also going up on that tram to see the views from the mountaintop. Look for one missing Diva...

Molly: That's all.  Diva Number One is not getting the computer back again.  Leave us comments, and we'll update tomorrow!

xoxo,
Anne & Molly

2 comments:

  1. Molly, not only am I splitting my sides from laughing, but I'm also sitting here amazed at your gift of writing. Your mother was always so gifted with "words".....most of them came out of her mouth but many of them were put down on paper. I am calling my mother each day and reading your adventures to her. Diva Number One was her favorite of my childhood friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild Diva's--scout out a lodge in Jackson Hole where we can all meet for a skiing adventure. Yes? Say Hi to Demi, Ashton and Bruce for me. XOXO

    ReplyDelete